On The Horizon

Hello from Sheffield my dears,

I hope this blog finds you well, warm and rested. I mentioned at the end of my last blog containing my reflections on 2014 (can be found here) that I would post one soon regarding what I'm looking forward to this year.


Well you waited and here it is.


Many people at the start of a new year - or fourteen days in like me - begin to make goals, aspirations or resolutions, whatever you want to call them for the year ahead. I confess I have conferred to this tradition in the past and some things have stuck and others... have not.


However this year, 2015, I am going to break from it and try something new, something more positive for me. To make a list (and a map which will be creative and beautiful *fingers crossed*) of all the things I'm looking forward to this year rather than declarations, restrictions and targets. I prefer some things to aim for and be my little silver linings in all this unknown.  


Here are some quotes that remind me of this:

Don't stop believing folks. I'm going to try my hardest to live with this as my mantra this year.


I don't agree with forgetting what's gone as we can learn from the past
and never truly leave it behind but there are some things, people, memories,
whatever that we should not let dominate our thoughts. Instead appreciate
what you have and look forward to what's coming next!
I love C.S Lewis to bits and this quote
however optimistic it may be gives me
hope.
Firstly, television. As a student a significant amount of my time (and significantly more than my contact hours) is spent unashamedly watching tv and subsequently, if the programme is good, having to binge watch entire series. The proper way to relax after stressfully referencing and trying to meet word counts for essays. Last year for me this involved Breaking Bad and Buffy the Vampire Slayer and this year has some real gems, both new and old that I'm looking forward to.

Here is a short and as comprehensive a list as I could manage:


  • Broadchurch- Season 2 (ITV - Mondays 9pm, first two episodes have already aired): I was gripped on the first season and the second is proving just as thrilling. Catch up and join me in this televisual treat!
  • Better Call Saul *NEW* (Starts February)  - A spin off from Breaking Bad that has supposedly already been commissioned for a second season before the first has even aired. Promising some familiar faces, stand out acting and a chance to recapture a world that I have missed since I binge watched Breaking Bad last year.
  • House of Cards - Season 3 (Netflix, February 27th): February is looking to be a good month for tv. Surprised myself with this programme though as I don't normally get hooked on political dramas yet this is one that gets you hooked from the outset. Contains intrigue, incredible acting and a cliffhanger in practically every episode. Season 2 actually managed to top the first one for me so I'm hoping for a lot from Season 3. Kevin Spacey somehow makes me love Frank Underwood and hate him at the same time. WARNING: This show is addictive and as its all released at the same time so easy to binge watch.
  • Game of Thrones - Season 5 (Sky Atlantic, 13th April): Most of you will have heard of this by now even if you haven't watched it. Gripping, funny, violent and at sometimes controversial it's a fantasy-political-drama that's not easily defined but very easily enjoyed. Season 4 had some good stand out episodes for me, particularity at the beginning but at times lagged a little so I'm hoping that even without some notable characters (HODOR, and branihavetoomuchhairbutidon'tcare) Season 5 will be a new high. Hopefully with the introduction to Dorne it will be!
  • Casual Vacancy *NEW* (Released at some point in 2015) - Eagerly anticipated - for me at least- tv adaptation of J.K Rowling's first adult novel airs this year staring Dumbledore...ahem..Michael Gambon! I really enjoyed this book despite the criticism and I'm interested to see what it'll turn out like as a tv programme. It's going to fill the void at least until Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is released in 2016.
  • Sherlock *Christmas Special* - Not much is known about the plot yet but the pairing of Cumberbatch and Freeman is always worth a watch and is well worth the wait. Will have to keep us going until Season 4 airs in 2016.
Aside from this brief smattering I am looking forward to Vampire Diaries and Atlantis returning after their season break and filling the void with finally catching up on Supernatural (Season 8 has been reached!) and joining the Walking Dead party late as well as a smattering of the brilliant I.T Crowd. Notable mention also goes to Call The Midwife which starts Sunday at 8pm on BBC1.

When I'm not watching all this TV I can most likely be found at the cinema. Here are a few films I'm looking forward to this year, with the ones I'm most excited about in bold. ( I also need to see Theory of Everything very soon!)
  • Paddington (Hoping to see this before it leaves cinemas)
  • Into The Woods (January) 
  • Selma (January)
  • Cinderella (March)
  • Divergent Series: Insurgent (March)
  • Beyond The Brick: A LEGO Brickumentary (April)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (April)
  • Far From The Madding Crowd (May)
  • Pitch Perfect 2 (May)
  • Paper Towns (June)
  • Jurassic World (June)
  • Minions (July)
  • Frankenstein (October)
  • Spectre (October)
  • The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 (November)
  • Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (December)
There's also a new Woody Allen Film which I'm excited about and Ian McKellan staring in Mr Holmes (Release Date to be confirmed). I can't wait!

In terms of Music 2014 was really a bumper year with new albums from Taylor Swift, the Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Ben Howard etc and some new talent appearing on the scene too like the wonderful George Ezra. So whilst that lot are touring this year there are not many new albums that I'm looking forward to other than those by Radiohead, Imagine Dragons- Smoke and Mirrors (February) and however this may turn out The Ting Tings - Super Critical. So it you can save me from having last years playlist on repeat and longing to be at gigs let me know about some new music coming out this year.

I can't really bring myself to comment on books that I'm looking forward to coming out this year as being an English Literature student and caught in writing essays/revising at the moment me and books are not in a great place right now. So I will do a separate post on them next month when the love has returned.

Other than all the things I've mentioned, and probably a whole host of things I've missed, I hope to go to a few plays, gigs, comedy performances and general outings this year. I like having things in the diary to look forward to. Two of the things that I am immensely excited for and have pencilled in the calendar are; I'm going to see the Foo Fighters in Manchester in May with my friends Jess and Tom (who also have blogs, check them out here and here) something I cannot resist smiling about every time I think of it and  I managed to score tickets to see Benedict Cumberbatch ( I love him so much!!!) in Hamlet in October at the Barbican Theatre in London with my friend Nicola. These events both seemed ages away when I booked them last year and now its the year they are happening in and I can't wait. Just shows its nice to book things and treat yourself :)

Anyway enough about me. What are you looking forward to this year? What are you aspiring to see/watch/do? I'd love to know. I also hope my list gives you some positives to focus on for the year ahead as it's better to do that than have things to dread.

Much love to you all as always and check back soon for a special announcement regarding a new feature I'm going to introduce to my blog this month.

Figurative hugs,
M x

P.S My artist of the moment is: Bruce Springsteen. Listen to the classics or check out the back catalogue but you can't deny the man is amazing!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019