Two Little Words

Hello there my dear readers,

Happy belated thanksgiving to you all! I'm not an American and have never lived there but this is one of those holidays that I feel the UK could adopt as the spirit of the occasion (minus the dodgy colonial aspect) is one that is pretty wonderful. The time for community and thankfulness as well as tasty food can get romantacised but the sentiment is one I am very much in the mood for at the moment.

Hence today I would like to share some things with you that, in spite of sleep deprivation and headaches as well as a far too long a week, I am thankful for.

1. Friends: I love my friends and it is true that they are the family we choose for ourselves. Their love makes even the baddest of bad days better and I feel so thankful to be surrounded by such wonderful people in my life on all sides of the water. (Wasn't enough room for photos of you all but I loves you all :))
Nicola having some Cider at the Christmas Light Switch on


Me and Nic wrapped up warm 

Holly and Jess with classic flat banter


2. Food: I am blessed by provisions in life and thankful for not being in want.These small things are what makes life okay on the most basic level and it when looking for blessings those of us that can look and say we have this (even if there are bigger overwhelming things) we can be thankful. Thus celebrating the end of a long uni week with treacle tart and hot chocolate was an excellent decision. Also baking cookies with flatmates makes me smile! The sharing aspect of food is one of the best parts and adds a dimension that I am even more thankful for.


Holly enjoyed the freshly baked cookies :D 

The excitement of sugar consumption...


Mmmm... (plus the Christmas movie gold that is The Holiday!)


3. Music and Books: When everything in life is swirling around you it is when you can be thankful for the escape art brings. I have been reminded about this this week as I have had a constant radio presence in my room and my ipod always on whilst I am out and. This has meant a rediscovery of some excellent tunes and let me live in someone's words for a while. I have also re-read one of my favourite books - Just Listen by Sarah Dessen- in the downtime after assessments have been handed in and  this literary escape into a familiar world has brought reflection that has made me feel thankful for the life I have. 

This a book that is full of so many relevant quotes (my copy is highlighted and underlined beyond belief) and this is just one of my favourites.

Music and books are my constants when everything is changing and for that I am very grateful. (Also The Sonic Highways documentary is excellent. It is on BBC Iplayer and you should all check it out.)

Check out:
Thank You by Led Zeppelin
This Year by The Mountain Goats
Living Well is the Best Revenge by R.E.M

So these are just three little things that I am thankful for and they may be simple but it is often those unnoticed-overlooked-taken for granted things which are those that bring the most happiness. They remind me to say those two little words, the most important ones "Thank You" more often than I do because I have so much to be thankful for. And if you look hard enough I know each one of you do too.
.
What are you thankful for?

Much love and figurative hugs,

Megan xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019