Chapter The Second (Part Two): Reflection, Reading and Real Tiredness

Hello again readers,

As promised here is the second instalment of this weeks bumper edition blog from yours truly.

This week has been my first experience of my autumn semester modules of level 2 and it's been all guns blazing with no nice fluffy introductory period like first year. This was particularly highlighted for me by my brains continual acceptance of such a gear change in reading from books I enjoy to a multitude of articles but such is university life and I will adjust in turn. Plus the fact the my Woody Allen module involves a weekly film screening (regrettably at 9am on a Monday morning) means that I can have a slight reprieve from the medium of literature that pervades my week.

In regards to reflection I draw my subject matter back to the weekend of September the 20th and 21st, which was only a fortnight ago but feels much longer than that, wherein I assisted at University of Sheffield's Intro Weekend helping first years move into their accommodation. The positives of this job were not limited to the fancy title of my role as 'Logisitcs Operations' (which essentially meant I could be asked to do anything from directing cars, unpacking boxes or welcoming families), a snazzy high visibility jacket with added authority, and being paid :D I also had the pleasure of making new friends, making sure people knew how wonderful Sheffield was, visiting flats I hadn't before, remeasuring anxious parents and answering questions of nervously excited freshers. It was tiring but so amazing and by the end of the weekend I had a smile permanently etched on my face and a zest for work (as well as really sore feet :P). It was rewarding to help others and I would certainly sign up to do it again next year as it was a wonderful opportunity. However it was also an experience that made me really nostalgic for my first year of university as I can remember feeling that life was so full of possibilities and regular new excitements. As it still is but not in that life-changing way that starting university was. I hope all you first years enjoy and appreciate it, because it's fabulous.
Some Photos from Intro Weekend













Last but not least, I have been really tired - in a bone deep aching sleep depriving way- for a long time now and this has only increased since I returned to Sheffield and therefore having to start into course prep and lots of other fun demands on my time. I do not mention this to you readers to be all 'woe is me' but simply to - as I always intended with this blog - depict accurately the observations of my fictional life which is not always rosy and exciting. Hopefully this weekend I can recharge, (Pilates and Zumba with Jess should help with this) and approach Week 2 of the semester refreshed and ready for all the excitement it will bring. My wonderful flatmates and my long-suffering friends have been very lovely these past weeks in dealing with stress, sickness and grumpiness and for that I thank you all. Your patience and compassion astounds me and I promise I will work on keeping it all under control or at least not ranting as much at you all. 

I'll see you all tomorrow for the last instalment of Chapter Two and I wish you all a goodnight.

Much fictional love,
Megan xo

P.S I won't always be doing dedications but in this case I'll make an exception. I'd like to wish my lovely flatmate and wonderful friend Holly Cameron a very happy 20th birthday if she reads this. Holly, it's been an absolute pleasure getting to know you these past few weeks and you are such a fantastic person my dear that I feel very lucky to call you my friend. Have a wonderful day and celebrate lots, I'll see you on Sunday for cake and hugs :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019