Some Familial Interactions

Hello there dear readers,

I hope this blog post finds you well and your respective weeks have been suitably exciting.

My own week has been rather wonderful and this is largely due to the visit my grandparents made up to Sheffield for a few days. It was very special to have this company as living a reasonable (a body of water separating) distance from my immediate family I can't go home for a weekend when I feel like it and as exciting as university is there are several moments when this extra distance is felt keenly. 
My lovely family when we were on holiday in Amsterdam, eating a curry as per usual.
 I miss them lots.


The presence of lovely flatmates and wonderful friends are already a blessing but having family around was a real treat.

The grandparents- or Grammie and Grampie as I like to call them- had planned to visit me in my first year of living in Sheffield but we all ended up being so busy that it just didn't happen until this year. They arrived on Tuesday afternoon after a long train journey up from Exmouth and I met them at the train station after my lecture to help get them settled at their hotel and then we had a foray into the city centre for lunch which was a real treat as it, being true to my pseudo-Italian heritage, was at Cafe Nero and involved my favourite: Red Velvet Cake. Being a student I don't usually treat myself to lunch out as it is mainly easier (and cheaper!) so this was a much appreciated outing :)

Following lunch we all caught the tram (one of my favourite aspects of Sheffield) to my flat and I gave them the grand tour of my swanky new abode. It was lovely to be able to show off where I live as I have talked about it so much to them and it's even better in person. After several embarrassingly staged photographs we settled down to some tea and scones with a proper helping of Cornish Clotted Cream, jam and lots of chat. I apologise if this seems unexciting to you dear readers but the pleasure of a peaceful activity and the blessing of good company could not be rivalled and after a month apart we had lots to catch up on.


The Scones I baked this weekend, yummy :)


They left in the early evening to rest after a long days travelling but I was to see them the next day for breakfast at their hotel which was a decadent buffet spread and ensured that for once my stomach didn't rumble during lectures. The early start was worth it in order to glimpse a sunny Sheffield morning in the midst of all the recent rain and to make the most of such precious time together. After my lecture we rejoined for lunch at a wonderful vegetarian restaurant in town called Blue Moon and then wandered around town whilst I pointed out places of interest. They also kindly brought me a bookcase (DIY was the feature of the afternoon) which I had been saving up for to house the many books that being an English Literature student and loving books had meant I had accumulated. This was a real treat and means that it feels  like they are still with me even though they had to go home. I feel so lucky to have such loving and kind people as my grandparents and this visit reinforced that entirely. All to soon we had to catch the tram to the station and as I waved goodbye on the platform I felt keenly the loss of their company so soon after we had been reunited but I knew the memories of the visit would make me smile even when I missed them.
A blurry selfie with Grammie and Grampie before they got their train home.


It was a short stop and a long way for them to come which made the time together all the more valuable and whilst it was not an action packed visit just feeling loved by them and spending time together was perfect and I can't wait to see them at Christmas.

I feel immensely proud to be their granddaughter and very lucky to have time with them this week as it has made me so happy.

What has made you happy this week?
Much love,
Megan xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019