New Beginnings and Familiar Faces

Hello again my lovely readers,

This week has been a bit crazy so it's been hard to find a moment to sit down and share my thoughts with you all about finally being back in Sheffield again but I'm snagging a moment before I curl up in my big double bed and sleep for a long time.

Firstly it was very hard leaving home (it feels like I have a lot of different homes at the moment but in this case I mean Northern Ireland) and my family to come back to Sheffield even though I'd done it a year earlier under considerably more nerve racking circumstances. I was excited to return to university, see friends and resume a more independent life yet it was hard as I had to give up other lovely things to. I miss living by the sea. I miss attempting to beat my brother at FIFA and having a bedtime cuddle with my sister. I miss driving. I miss family dinners....


A gorgeous sunset from the Causeway Coast of Northern Ireland near where I live

And so the list goes on.

However I feel equally blessed to come home to Sheffield and fit back into the life I've built for myself here. Not many people can say that they feel comfortable living two different lives but I really love it and feel like - in the immortal words of Hannah Montana- that I have 'the best of both worlds'.

So what have I been up to this past week I hear you wonder? Well thankfully I have been keeping busy which means I'm not moping too much about what I've left behind as I haven't had many quiet moments too. Since I've returned to Sheffield I've unpacked, decorated my room, visited friends, reacquainted myself with the city, worked out how to use a gas cooker (that one took a while..), resumed my local church, had training for a job and helped a friend move out of her flat. As you can imagine that's kept me more than occupied and somehow I've managed to fit it all in to one week.


Me and one of the Alpacas at the farm

One of my favourite things that is worth mentioning is in amongst all these new parts of my life I have familiar faces to keep me stable and grounded as well as reminding me not to stress so much about my ever expanding to do list. I really don't know how I'd cope without their support as it can feel very far away from family when I'm here. Particularly wonderful familiar faces have been my flatmate Jess who has made this first week of living in a new place much more exciting as I was anticipating being on my own this first week back and her presence has meant I haven't got too quiet and there's always been someone lovely to talk to. Also another Jess in my life, my course mate, has- by her constant invitations- ensured I had lots of activities to fill my day with from everyday shopping, Alpaca farm visits and even a Come Dine With Me evening where her and Tom were the perfect hosts. These are only a few names but it really has been the best part of this week to catch up with friends, especially those I had gotten used to seeing everyday, and I have so much love for all of you.

In regards to last weeks post the double bed was amazing as I'd hoped it would be and I find it hard to leave it every morning. The city feels like home again already and I love hearing the Yorkshire accent wherever I go. The people from the Sheffield crew that I've met (I can't wait to see the rest of you) have been amazing and I don't quite know how I've survived without you all for 3 months.

I have never really felt comfortable with beginnings as they are too closely linked with endings for me to ever fully appreciate them but I like to think I'm getting better at them. Yet anyone who knows me will know that I always find something to worry about so I have been pleasantly surprised with how painlessly I've transitioned to a new flat, a new area of the city, a new bus route, and I've even been blessed with making some new friends this week. It just goes to show that whilst the familiar is comforting the new can be exciting in its challenges. Maybe I am growing up after all?

So I raise my metaphorical glass to the year ahead, the many challenges it will bring and the memories yet to be created, because if these new beginnings bring as many familiar faces and as much joy as last year every moment will be need to be savoured and treasured before the wonderful cycle starts all over again.

What reminds you of home readers?

Join me next week for another instalment of observations from my fictional self regarding my reflection on my first year of university and my plans for this imminent second year.

Love and figurative hugs,
Megan xo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019