Pace Yourself: The Freedom of Running

Hi there blog readers,

I hope this post finds you well and enjoying some relaxation and me-time during these summer months.

This particular outpouring of my observations comes to you today - after mulling over several choices - regarding the topic of running.

Yep that's right the dreaded R word: running.

Several years ago I have been guilty of cringing myself at the concept of this specific form of exercise and whilst I am not exactly a running role model presently I certainly am a converted cheerleader for this pursuit.

Let me explain to you why this is so.

During the time I spent growing up I happened to view running as a highly athletic pursuit, for the talented and the foolhardy only with no middle ground. Those who ran had great stamina, determination, and confidence, in my opinion. These three qualities were ones that I felt I lacked, and prohibited me from viewing running as anything more than a necessary burden to be endured during P.E lessons at school or an unenthusiastic requirement when I was late for the bus.

I mean don't get me wrong I did not hate exercise as a whole, I enjoyed being part of relay races, playing recreational football, tag rugby, swimming, and I was even part of a triumvirate of captains for my school's senior netball team in my final year of high school. I adored going on adventures with my siblings, climbing trees, had a complete disregard for what was appropriate to wear when playing outdoors, and when I wasn't burying my head in books I was as active an individual as can be expected. Yet, I did not enjoy running, or desire to do it.

This was all about to change.

Whilst I knew rationally that running was not something that was elitist, inaccessible, required a certain kit, and confidence, and having witnessed my mother complete the London Marathon knew that it was possible to achieve anything if you try hard enough, I personally needed to find my own motivation to run before I could commit to making it part of my lifestyle.
It was so fun and colourful :)

My motivation, and what pushed me - my muscles protesting with every step - into embracing running was my desire to raise money and awareness for mental health through fundraising for Mind and completing a 5k Colour Run in May 2015.

Raising money through doing exercise and pushing your body past its usual sedentary limits is a great way to kick start embracing a new pursuit because once you have signed up to do something then there is a certain degree of pressure, drive and obligation that can be particularly helpful in turning the reluctant exerciser into a 'real runner'.

I was also exhausted...But raised over
£100!
The only times when I had done proper running before the Colour Run last year was in doing events for Sports Relief or Christian Aid or other such organisations, and each time there was members of my family there to keep me going when my lungs and my feet just wanted me to stop.

This familial assistance would also become part of my journey to actually enjoying and choosing to run for myself, because whilst running is an individual undertaking it is also wonderful for the opportunity it provides for support, companionship and community.

So after making the somewhat spontaneous (which was unusual for my inner planner) and nerve-wracking decision to go from occasionally throwing a netball around with my uni coursemates to running 5k in three weeks I decided I needed a bit of practice...

Now a few years ago my Mum had got involved in a free event called a Parkrun at a Portrush beach near us when we lived in Northern Ireland, I was in awe at her being able to get up every Saturday morning - regardless of the weather - and push herself past that barrier into 5k success. Then my dad started going too and pushed himself even when it was raining to try and go for a new PB. But I didn't particularly relish the idea of dragging myself out of the comfort of my bed and aching for the rest of the day.

That was until I realised I had never really ran 5k before and needed to get a bit of training in so when I went home that Easter I joined my mum and dad for a windy and wet gasping jog along the buffeted local beach. All it required was registering online and printing out a barcode, then I was good to go.

Safe to say I wondered what on earth I had gotten myself into and as befitting my past wanted to give up as soon as possible... But I cared about raising money to help those with mental health issues more than I did my protesting calves!

This first excursion I had as part of the Parkrun family was by no means the easiest and with the start of all new activities there was a strong questioning of whether I would ever actually get to the end of it. But the feeling of accomplishment when you cross that finish line is second to none, and it is one that never goes away.


I finished!
Here are some things that Parkrun and running, has taught me over the past year:

- Image: I had previously thought that to do running you needed expensive gear, gadgets, and a body to show off. This was wrong, have a pair of comfortable shoes (trainers are best though) and just wear your biggest smile. Running is not about looking good, it is about feeling good. It gives you a chance to be confident in who you are and what you can achieve regarding of what your body type is or what speed you go at.

Freedom: For the past year or so I faced a lot of stress, growing to do lists, and personal difficulties, all of which you think you can't really get away from. And to be honest, the older you get the more you realise that you have to deal with these things head on. But nothing gives you the instantaneous complete feeling of freedom like running. (The only other activities I find that do are swimming or ice skating, and I can't do either of these as easily.) You are focused totally in the moment and on putting one foot in front of the other, free from anything else. And that my friends is a feeling which golden.

Outrunning the past: You can't do this. Whilst running has given me a lot of freedom, been great for lessening stress, and stopping me thinking for a while it you can't escape your life in doing it. That one foot-next foot rhythm is soothing and you can feel beyond the irritation of essay writing, sadness of loss, gut-wrenching heartbreak, and anger at your own idiocy for 30mins or so. But after you stop you still have to deal with that. Running can be an escape but its not a fix all or a plaster, be kind to yourself, and use it as an assistance to help you deal with what's gone before.


Feeling Alive: As well as feeling free and capable, one of the best gifts that my running experience has given me is that after many years of feeling numb, or lost, or a whole host of not-so-fun emotions whilst experiencing depression, going out for a run is one of the things I can do which makes me feel fully alive. Blood-pumping through my veins, lungs gasping to fill themselves, sweat dripping, sides aching, limbs protesting...The pain reminding me that my body is strong, powerful capable, amazing, and astoundingly, wonderfuly alive. I bloody love that feeling, and I'm not giving it up any time soon.




Achievement: There is nothing like my smug feeling of knowing I've made the most of my day by going for a run. Even forsaking the comfort of a warm bed is worth that warm pride of achievement after undertaking a run. Coming back from a run on a Saturday morning to the sound of Graham Norton's voice on Radio 2, is much better than waking up to it and knowing I've succumbed to sleeping in.


The Family Connection: I got started in my love of running through my family and I could not keep doing it without their support. Even when we can't run together knowing that their doing a run is enough to spur me to go and do one myself. I am very lucky to have parents who encourage me in whatever I want to do, and I am healthier and happier for them doing so.



Mum, Dad and I after completing some Parkrun tourism at the Stretford Parkrun


- Welcoming Ethos: One of the best parts of Parkrun is the atmosphere that means you feel at home from you first time even if you have no idea what the route is or what to do, as there are always helpful smiling volunteers to steer you in the right direction. This ethos is to be valued and ensures that running is rebranded into an activity which is open to all.

Run not race: The point of running is not to beat everyone else, unless you're doing it professionally or competitively. If you're just running with others the important thing is that you finish your run not race beat others. Be competitive with your own time and try and improve it by all means but don't make your time the most important part of the running experience.



Something we all need to be reminded of sometimes.
- The importance of you: Running is hard but really rewarding and we all do it for different reasons. But it is really important to celebrate your own achievements and not in correspondence to those of others. Be proud of what you achieve in relativity to yourself. You are capable of different things to others and should celebrate that. Running feels like something which I do for myself and with myself, that makes me feel more than myself, and I treasure the importance of that. Pace yourself people and running can bring you the benefits it has brought me and many others.

It doesn't matter why you're running just that you are doing it :)
If you would like to find out more about the amazing organisation that is Parkrun, where you nearest event is, or how you can get involved then check out their website: here. But warning folks, as much as you will complain about it to begin with, it does get a tad addictive :)

Having now completed over 25 parkruns (there are some Saturdays where even a parkrun can't get me out of bed, or I'm working, and there was the whole stint in Italy meaning I haven't been able to go as regularly as I'd like to) and visited 5 different courses with an aim to get my 50 runs tshirt soon and start ticking more events off my list. This just shows that running is for everyone and you don't know just when you're going to be absorbed my a new activity, or just how it will show how capable you are. I certainly did not expect to enjoy running, and whilst I am by no means the fastest or the best at it, and my stamina has not changed dramatically, I love how it makes me feel.

Me and my happy running face


Now I have even managed to choose to go on runs before work and not just stick to my whenever-you-can-make-it-on-a-Saturday routine, and I feel tired but happy for starting my day that way. Every little counts folks.


My sister Eve and I, after we completed another morning run by the beach.

So go find some shoes, lace them up, crank your tunes, stick in your headphones, and get out there at your own pace, the freedom it brings - at whatever speed you come to it - is so so worth it. I promise.



And now to end this blog post I have for you as new feature on my blog a complementary running themed

Mini Book Review:

The End of The World Running Club by Adrian J Walker 

If you enjoy books about the apocalypse and running then this one is for you. Following the journey of father Edgar living in Edinburgh to reunite with his family in Falmouth after an asteroid strike The End of The World Running Club appears to be a typical chaos narrative but has several surprises along the way. This has been my favourite book of the summer and very to difficult to put down. It makes you think about what you'd store up in case of the end of the world and other smaller aspects of how you treat your family, and your outlook on your life. You can appreciate as well as relate to this book and despite the darkness of the setting there are plenty of laughs along the way. Walker creates excellent immersion and character portrayal through his prose, meaning that you feel like you're running the length of Britain alongside the protagonists. Ultimately If you read one book this summer make it this one. I could not put this book down and as soon as I did my mum snapped it up to read it, it's currently making the rounds through my family and if you purchase it this would probably happen too! Take a break from running and read this folks :)




Many thanks for reading folks and please do, once you've got your trainers on and got out there, check back on the blog soon for a new instalment of my observations.

Much fictional love,
M xxx


Songs of the Post:
Reach - SClub 7 
(One of the songs me and mum dance to when we run)                          
Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac 
(Sometimes you just need a tune to keep you going)
Fearless - Taylor Swift 

(A song which I listened to on one of my first charity runs!)

P.S: What are some of your reasons why you run, or haven't done so before? What do you like to listen to when you run?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019