My Italian Love Affair, Au Pair Exploits and Alphabetical Instalment Número 7

Ciao a tutti!

This belated blog post is coming at ya from my adopted homeland and current place of residence/work: Italy!

As usual I've got crazy busy and only remembered at the end of the month that you're all waiting for an update. So here you go my dears. 

I've been here nearly 3 weeks now and it still hasn't completely sunk in yet that I am here for real, I'm moving about in a slightly surreal dream like state whilst simultaneously feeling at home and missing family, friends and cake.

The last time I wrote to you I was snug in my Sheffield abode, bustling about with saying goodbyes, working University Open Days and completing last minute preparations for my continental relocation.

It's strange now three weeks on thinking back to that Monday morning journey on the13th July when I took a tram, train, bus, plane, and car before finally arriving at my destination. My head was full of worries from making sure I made all my connections, to whether my bag would be overweight (also with Ryanair in charge would I get the bag back in the end??? I did :)), to whether the family and kids would like me, could I cope on my own for 2 months in another country by myself, would I embarrass myself language wise, had I brought everything I needed and would I be any good at it? Just to quote a few.

Those of you who know me know that I worry a lot so this was normal. My fears were quickly assuaged and replaced by new ones.   

Although I've been trying to journal my day to day events I think an account of everything I've done would bore even the most attentive of you, so instead I shall offer you some reflections and things I've learnt.

I have always loved everything about Italy since I was little, I can't remember exactly how or when this infatuation began but it endured throughout my childhood years as I consumed mountains of pasta, continuing into my teenage years when I was introduced to the joy of wine, spreading out as I grew older into literature, films, history, culture and basically any piece of information I could get my hands on. My Italian love affair was as enduring as my one with books and just as deep. Despite all of this I didn't get to visit my adopted homeland until I reached the ripe age of 17 and my last year of high school when I secured my place on our school's annual trip to Rome for those of us who studied History, Classical Civilisation, Religious Studies or Art. (I studied all of these bar one at AS level just to be sure... Hehe)

Those 4/5 days away in the capital of the world (to me) contain some of my fav memories as not only did I get to see amazing sights, eat delicious food and JUST BE IN ITALY AT LAST, I got to do it all with some of the people I loved most in the world. It went by far too quickly but I always knew I would be back in some form or another soon. I imagined doing a year abroad there or a weekend trip with some of my relatives but never did my mind 
contemplate the reality that I now live in. To look after two children, have my food and housing provided, to explore this amazing country at weekends and get paid for the work I 
do. JUST WOW.

This may seem like I'm telling you all this just to make you jealous and I confess that was the reaction that I had when one of my friends Jess told me about her au pairing plans way back in February. My initial reaction was that's amazing followed by I could never do that. But when she told our friends that her host family knew someone in need of an Au Pair for the summer back in June I thought why don't I just look into it? I had interviews, plans and reasons for staying in Sheffield during the summer but one by one during the email conversations with my potential host family and mentioning the idea to friends these reasons faded away. I'm not the most spontaneous person usually so to start preparations only a few weeks before I left the country was exciting and scary! Would I regret it? I knew I would if I didn't go.

So yes this isn't a post to be like 'look at all the amazing things I'm doing and you're not mwhahhhahha' it's to kind of remind myself that sometimes doing the thing that scares you, just following your dream (however big or small), and saying yes can lead to the most amazing things. And to encourage you all (and myself) to try more often to daily take leaps, never let go of dreams and believe in yourself because you are all capable of more than you know.

I hoped for myself that coming to a country that I loved I would fall back in love with myself, see myself differently and even return different to how I arrived. I visualise myself as an independent, patient, competent, tanned, Italian-speaking, worldly, happy, confident, mature, and wiser woman when I step back on English soil in September but we'll see how much of that is a reality. 

I'll probably just be really freckly, fed up of children, be able to name things in Italian and 
have tried every single flavour of gelato I could find. But I can live with that. Plus I can 
already feel that this summer has made me believe in my capability to cope with changes 
so that's a bonus, I'll let you know about the rest when I return.

Here are a few things I've learnt from Au Pairing so far:

1. Water is life: Whatever that recommended amount of water is you're meant to consume per day I exceed that expertly! Living in temperatures that I don't think have gone under 25 degrees since I arrived water is my life line, I can't leave the house without a couple of bottles and will reach for it at mealtimes before food. Frizzante (Fizzy water) is my fav thirst quenching solution and I'm hoping I can carry on this healthy habit back home.
Try new things: It all seems a bit daunting at first when you have to get your bearings in another country where you can't competently converse in the language and it's tempting to play it safe. But by trying that cheese you don't know the name of, sampling foods you normally wouldn't eat like tomatoes and not saying an automatic no things you're convinced you don't like such as coffee you can discover that this country does them better and you like them after all. Plus this way you can feel brave in the little things even if trying to navigate buses still makes you cringe! Meeting up with people you don't know will be scary and first but it's worth having people to support you in the new place and try things together.

2. Children are changeable: This isn't something that your eyes are opened to unless you permanently look after children as I've done so before but not day in day out like this. They will love you one minute and hit you the next. Be as quiet and smiley as an angel and then decide they want to test the eardrums of everyone around you in the most embarrassing way possible. They scream when they want attention and when they're hurt and you have to figure out which. You have to watch them every single second, keep a degree of sanity 
and patience and get good at running because they move fast. I think the first few weeks 
have been full of me mentally picking myself up its difficult and teaching me to be able and 
less sensitive because at the end of the day if they're alive and vaguely happy I've done my job. You can cope with anything after a summer of this.

3. After-bite, Suncream, and After-Sun are your best friends: As an English girl entering an Italian climate I was prepared with my factor 50 and various toiletries for whatever the weather would bring.... But still managed to get burnt in ridiculous places and eaten alive by mosquitoes that it was just laughable. You learn the best offence is defence and if that doesn't work just try and smile as bites will go and burns will fade but moments can't be redone do just suffer through it with a smile and don't miss out. Although you know you'll appreciate rainy days and bug free evenings with a new wave enthusiasm that your friends just won't get when you return.

4. Home and Heartache: You've finally left home and think you're prepared to throw yourself into your new life with reckless 20 year old abandon but then you get that twinge, a tug on your heart and mind as you look at the calendar and start counting the days until you see familiar faces again. You miss home. You knew you would but didn't realise how and in the strangest ways. You love Italian food but miss a Red Velvet cakes and hashbrowns, you miss being able to sleep at night because it's under 20 degrees, you miss your mum's hugs and just hugs In general and despite the fact you are in an amazing place having the time of your life (those pics on Facebook aren't lying folks- it's awesome, they just don't tell the whole story) you get jealous of other people's plans and regret not being able to see 'Inside Out'. You like the lack of wifi at the house but quickly become addicted to visiting the bar for a Skype home and  feeling connected to everyone. It's crazy and doesn't make sense as then you'll have an amazing day and think this home here because you're so happy and comfortable and not check your phone for days. I just try and let 
myself experience these feelings but not let them hold me back from experiences here as home will be there when I get back and I know come September I won't want to leave. Plus I'm super lucky in having my amazing friend Jess only 30 mins away in Follonica so I have a little bit of home here with me and I love her to bits as well as all our adventures. Plus books are like home to me so I can always lose myself in one of those!

I won't rant any more but there's lots of things I'm learning!

Also I'm going to combine this post with my usual monthly alphabetical instalment. You can refresh your memory of this concept by heading back to where it all began in my January post.

This July one is a tad shorter than last month because I feel like I've covered a lot of my thoughts on this month's two letters in what I've already written. So here we go.

The letter M on my butterfly poster stands for 'Make a Difference' and I'd encourage you to do this in whatever way possible, volunteer somewhere, help your parents clean the house, listen to that friend who's having a bad day or just follow your passions until you can together with out hers cause a change. Nothing is impossible! And your life impacts so many others, make that impacts positive one.

And also the letter N stands for 'Never Settle for Less' and it's so true! I firmly believe that each and every one of you deserve the best out life whether that be in your jobs, relationships or provisions but sometimes you have to make the jump out of your comfort zone to find it. You'll get so much out of it that it's worth it though and you'll feel better for doing it. Sometimes you have to put your self first to find out what this 'more' is and that's 
important too! Your dreams are just as important as other people's.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, it means a lot to me that people actually read the words I write. I can't quite believe that in two months time it'll be a year since I started this blog. So much has happened in that space of time and I'm not the same person I was last September but that's a story for another blog post.

I'll be back with another blog post heading your way soon, most likely still Italian orientated so I hope you enjoyed.

Much fictional love and hugs, 
M xxx

Songs of the Post: Pretty Reckless - Just Tonight and, Mumford and Sons- Snake Eyes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019