Belated June Updates and Alphabetical Instalment Number 6

Hello hello my lovely readers,

I hope this blog post finds you faring well this July evening as I catch you up all my June going-ons and offer up a 6th Alphabetical Instalment for your perusal.


 My apologies for this blog post appearing mid-July after promising you last time with the arrival of summer there would be a higher frequency of blogging. However I have quickly discovered that the busyness doesn't end when term finishes and whilst this has kept me from boredom it has also kept me from blogging, I shall try and get back into the swing of things soon my dears with an exciting few blog posts being planned. If not you'll just have a few bumper editions to look forward to :D

Now on with the post!

Here is a brief overview of my June exploits for your enjoyment. Are you sitting comfortably? Then let's begin.

1. Exams and Assessments Finished
The beginning of June saw my exam done and my last assessment of second year handed in which was a big relief because as much as I enjoy studying it does get stressful and I am not a fun person to be around during that time. Having it all over with meant more time to do things I actually enjoyed and this week I found out I actually passed 2nd year so I feel very blessed to have academically survived a year I felt emotionally all over the place in! Bring on 3rd year :D


2. Jonah's Visit 
As my part of brother's 18th birthday present I bought him plane tickets to come spend time with me after his A-levels were finished and I was done with exams. It was such a special few days just relaxing, marathoning some of The Office and catching up with such a wonderful sibling as was hard to let him go again! 


The selfie game was also strong during the holiday! This was us on the train to Nottingham to visit their fab Kitty Cafe, defo recommend a visit!


3. Doc-Fest
One of the great things about living in Sheffield is there is always so much going on and this year I volunteered as a Cinema Steward for a Film Festival that happens in Sheffield every year. A fantastic experience as I got to watch great docs, meet directors/journalists/producers and make new friends all in one fun packed sleep deprived week :) Why not come along next year or volunteer yourself? Find out more info here. Some of the screenings are even free to the public :D
My snazzy official pass :)
4. Sociable Times
Also in June after I was a bit more free my social calendar got filled up again meaning I enjoyed going for pizza with friends I wasn't going to see until September, attending part of the Alice in Wonderland themed Summer Social, celebrating Rachel's 20th birthday Gelato style, cinema trips to see Minions and Mr Holmes, and having a wonderful day out to Chinley to see Nicola.I also moved house and met up with other friends (in food related circumstances) to say our goodbyes before the long summer apart! I enjoyed every minute.


5. Ambassador Work
Throughout June I also did some student amabassording for the uni working on campus tours and open days and getting to meet people from all over the world, greet prospective students, and have fun doing so. Always such a joy and privilege to represent the wonderful place I get to study in and crazy I've only got one year left!

In my series of Alphabetical Instalments we have reached no.6 and the letters K and L. (Feel free to refresh your memory of this by going back to the first post from January with A and B here).

The letter K on my motivational butterfly poster stands for 'Kiss and Make Up' and this is something I have struggled with writing to you on the subject of as I feel very under-qualified to lecture you on it and wouldn't want to stray in to hypocritical territory. I, along with many of us, am prone to holding onto things - not necessarily grudges - but over-think a lot of my life and when I feel hurt or afraid it is sometimes difficult to take the highroad and forgive or be brave and forget about what has happened and move on. But it something I luckily have not had to do too much over my lifetime so far as I am lucky to be surrounded by people who care about and support me even when I make mistakes and thus to 'kiss and make up' with them, to humble myself, is worth it every time. I am trying to get better at it as I get older to not take things to heart too much and when things go wrong take the opportunity to make-up as I'd rather reconnect than lose out on friendships and things that can make me happy! Here's to trying to do this more in the future :) (Also check out my friend Emily's blog post about how important it is to 'kiss and make up' with yourself too!)

And also for the month of June we have the letter L which stands for 'Love all You Can' which is an adage I think I have always tried to live my life by as The Beatles said it pretty well when they sang: Love Is All You Need. I try to give my love to people, animals and food equally and have been lucky enough over my 20 years on this earth so far to receive an incredible amount of love from them in return. I think - at the risk of sounding a bit hippyish -that regardless of how life goes financially, academically, romantically, emotionally and so on, if you have love as a constant you feel a good deal more grounded and able to cope with what is to come because it gives you courage and comfort in equal measure and that is what you give to others when you love them in return. 

I have certainly felt that this year as I have undergone a trying time but have had the love of many people to nourish me when I didn't feel much love for myself or even really believe in the existence of love anymore. (I know from some-one who devours Rom-Coms like a bar of chocolate this seems a unlikely but I promise even the most stalwart lovers of love have our moments of doubt!) Luckily I am slowly falling in love with love again in all its forms and appreciating the power and beauty of it by observing the relationships, friendships, world and kindness around me, and for all of you have contributed to this I thank you. By loving all you can you can change the world, lead a happier more enriched life, and bring so much goodness in to the lives around you. We all have love to give and by using it and receiving it we can survive through anything.

Finally, I have been reminded in the past few days of this quote:




And I think I am fast re-realising the truth of this all over again, whilst we love all we can and we should try to love everyone we meet not all of those we love will love us too and it is important to recognise that, even when it's hard. To love ourselves (more on that here) and to respect ourselves enough to reach for love that appreciates us not demeans us, because we all deserve to be loved and sometimes it takes a while to find the way in which we should be. But keep looking, keep loving and I hope, for my sakes, and all of ours, that we receive love that nourishes us and allows us to be ourselves - even as we learn who we really are.


Anyways I'll be back with a blog post heading your way soon so keep those fingers ready for the refresh button. It may feature a more Italian outlook however though as I head tomorrow to Italy to begin two months of au-pairing and adventures in a country I have adored since I was a little girl. Nerves and excitement are high and hopefully the blogging levels will be too.

Until then my dears.

Much fictional love,

M xxx

Songs of the Post: Holiday - Vampire Weekend (Enjoy your summers my dears!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019