A Grounded Home

Hello there my dear readers,

I hope you are bundled up warm on this winter night and maybe sipping a nice cosy drink as you sit down to read this next instalment of my blog centred on the concept of home.

(Apologies for the belated reply as I have had this ready to post for the past week but as my next blog post will explain the last week has been a busy one and hopefully these editions will be worth the wait!)

There are many different sayings that us humans have created to try and pin down what 'home' actually means and none of them really seem to be adequate for me.

 For instance the saying "home is where you lay your head" means that it is confined to a single present place and a basic need for sleep. It also does not really take into account those of us that have live away from home such as students and call both our university accommodation and where our parents/guardians reside "Home".

Furthermore "Home is where you heart is" is also challenging because what if those that truly have a piece of your heart are no longer with and if you're like me it also doesn't acknowledge the fact that your heart can be many places at once because you're blessed enough to love so many people. Thus having your attention and your home split.

This multiplicity of home is important to me as I use the phrase loosely calling everything from a hotel room to my Harry Potter books and they all add up to show how impossible it is really to find a grounded meaning.

As a girl who has now lived in 9 different forms of accommodation over 19 years this hard-to-pin-downness of home is understandable as I consider myself to have had (and still have) several homes. I used to hate change but circumstances have forced me to be more accepting of it and it certainly has equipped me with great packing skills! But my experience has reminded me that the central part of our home is that we choose what we define it as. And I feel privileged to be in a position to blessed with a home as I know some people are not so lucky and have to make their home in more creative heartbreaking ways.

What has caused me to ruminate at such length about home you may ask? 

The answer is that I managed to very happily return back  to Northern Ireland to go home and see my family from the 5th - 7th of December. This was three months since I left there to go back to university in September and I had missed the sea, my family, my friends and this particular home an awful lot since then. This homecoming necessitated a horrendously early train and flight but was so worth it to maximise the time and it never manages to astonish me that I can wake up in one place and end up in another country in a couple of hours, it's very breathtaking!

My two favourite people in the whole world.I can't wait to see my siblings again super soon!
Also the weekend was made even more special by the fact that I got to see my brother in his last school play before he leaves high school which I was really looking forward to and it blew all my expectations away. I didn't know much about Phantom of the Opera before I went but I know nothing will now live up to Dalriada's performance of it and I described it as the play "I most enjoyed and most wanted to be involved in." I was a very proud big sister of Jonah for opening the play and also proud to be a Dalriad as it was really a school that felt like home to me.

Other than witness that musical extravaganza I managed to get in the Christmas spirit as my family waited until I was home before they put up the decorations and I loved being a part of that and getting festive, as those are proper family moments. I also spent a night with my sister Eve watching (and singing) Frozen and being introduced to the wonderful Christmas movie that is Die Hard. Life will never be the same again. 
One of my favourite nativity scenes that we have gained over the years.
What's that spell? One of the most wonderful times of the year!

Our wee tree
What's your favourite Christmas movie?

But if I'm being honest I spent the majority of my weekend (when not stocking up on hugs or attempting to triumph at Fifa) in one of my favourite places in the whole world. Possibly my one true home: Ground.
Salted Caramel Brownie and Mulled Spiced Chai Tea may be my new usuals!
mmmm

This is a coffee shop that I have journeyed most of my life in with all the ups,downs, hot chocolate, cake and laughs that it incorporates. It was my before school, lunchtime, after school, waiting for the bus, weekend filling and essentially every opportunity haunt and still to be fair is even at this different stage of my life. The staff, the setting and atmosphere all make it the best place to be but really the combination company and excellent food and beverages just make it home. (People who live in England I cannot stress enough how much you need this coffee shop in your life!)

So when I was home I met the people who are my friends and home to me in a place that represents home to me. I think this sums up how layered what home as a concept it is! Whilst it was hard being in a familiar place after all the time that has passed and so much (including me) has changed the difficulties and echoes (and sleep deprivation)  were worth it for the fact that it gave me so much joy and hugs too.

It was too brief a time to spend in one of favourite 'homes' but I was glad I went back and it won't be long before I return. Besides it's easier to leave home when you know you're really returning to another. 

The boundary between change and constancy is one that is blurred and I find feeling grounded in a place is difficult but I suppose the setting down roots in several places with various people means I am more grounded and at home than I realise even when it feels the complete opposite.

Remember to make your own home and treasure the ones you have because your home is part of who you are not just a house. I feel blessed by mine and thankful for the visit to one I love very much in these past few weeks as Northern Ireland holds so much for me.

See you very soon for another blog post on exciting Christmas celebrations and countdowns!

Much fictional love until then,
Megan xx

P.S Many thanks to you all for helping me reach over a thousand page views for this blog since it started I feel blessed by your support and interest and proud too of achieving this!

Soundtrack of my week:

Bad Blood - Taylor Swift


Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more about your statement about home, I feel the exact same way; feeling like I have several 'homes' all over the place! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mental Health Awareness Week: 'How are you?'

Sexism and Why It Sickens Me

Ten things for ten years: World Mental Health Day 2019